This is a golden standard for me on Whole30. I’m gearing up to get started. Rather than going cold-turkey on January 1st, I’ve decided to slowly reintegrate in the days leading up to New Year’s. I ate mostly W30 yesterday, with the exception of my salad dressings and some candy from Christmas. Today I will work on nixing the candy.
This Quiche is simple to make, takes about 15 minutes of prep and an hour of cooking time and is so flavorful! I’m trying leeks for my first time. Super easy to prep and a lighter flavor than onion but caramelizes as easily. How to? Here are the steps…
- Prep the Leeks by cutting off the dark green stems at the point where the lighter, white part meets the dark green. Then cut the remaining white stem lengthwise. Do not remove the root at this point. Take each half (or quarter if the Leek is large) and simply slice into 1/4″ strips horizontally. Discard the root as you dice each portion of the stem.
- Add some olive oil to a pan, heat to warm, add Leeks. Stir every few minutes until they begin to brown and caramelize. Once browning begins, you can add other ingredients such as mushrooms, artichoke hearts, etc. Heat through until all items are soft and warm.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350.
- In a separate bowl, crack 12 large eggs. Whisk, add salt & pepper to taste.
- Line a pie dish with uncooked spinach. Layer the spinach with the Leek concoction. Add eggs and finish off with either large greenhouse tomato slices or several miniature tomatoes as above.
- Place in oven for one hour. Allow to cool for 10 minutes to fully set, cut into fourths and enjoy a slice.